Hi everyone! I hope you’re all doing well. A lot happened this month so I’m not gonna dawdle on the weather or the fact that we had our most precocious heatwave ever recorded over here ha ha ha!
Guys, it’s done! Utown arrived in bookstores on May 16th. We launched the book on May 18th, at the Atomic Cafe. I signed for uh… four and half hours. It was intense but so, so fun! We went out for a drink after and I think I was nodding off mid-sentences at one point. My face hurt from smiling the next day!
After two years of no-show, we finally got our Montreal Comic Arts Festival back in live action. This time, the festival occupied a stretch of closed off street, right in the middle of the Plateau. “Busy” doesn’t even start to cut it. Everyone I know made record sales, despite an entire day of rain (out of three days). Unanimously, we stated that this was perhaps one of the best comic-oriented event in the province ever. The bar is high for next year!
Working on a webcomic full-time for the last three years has made me very wary of the ins and outs of online promotion. From podcasts to long articles on how to “beat” the algorithms and monetize your art, I spent a lot of time and energy writing captions, resizing images and constantly thinking about where I’d post my next sale announcement, image or new page. And honestly, I am exhausted. I’ve been watching a lot of videos on the benefits of quitting social media (even Instagram!) and while I’m not there yet, it gave me the push I needed to finally start that newsletter I’d been thinking about. While posting on Facebook drains me of all joy, working on my website and newsletter fired me up like crazy. It’s pretty much the French version of this blog and what I post on Patreon at the start of each month but anyone can subscribe here. I’m sending my first one this month and I’m pretty excited!
Surely enough, I kinda crashed after the launch. One sure way to get me back on track is to draw for myself and draw someone who has it a lot worse than I do. Mainly Nadia from Russian Dolls.
Watch out Toronto, Boum and I are going to TCAF as tourists! It’s gonna be like a vacation, but with COMICS! I’ll bring a few sketchbooks and goodies, so try and find me if you’re attending 🙂
Lastly, there’s a Utown sale at my shop until June 8th. I got new postcards in there as well!
- God I laughed so hard watching Anime Crime Division. I’m a sucker for a good parody!
- Don’t get Neil DeGrasse Tyson started on water towers!
- The NBA finals are off the hook!
Artist I dig:
- Nat Meier. I love their soft, golden photos, especially their kitchen photos. I want to live in them.
In my ears:
- I’ve been really into 50s to 70’s soul, rock, MoTown and other oldies on this great Spotify playlist.
- DIIV, one of my favorite band of all time, re-released Oshin for its tenth anniversary. Doused is such a wonderful song.
- We went to see Blackwater Holylight with about 25 other people at the Ritz last week. If you’re ever looking for a soundtrack to that girl-centric, dark elf wizard doomy gloomy epic novel you’re working on, that should be on it.
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas. It’s a story about a young trans brujo, someone who can see spirits and help them cross into the afterlife. It’s full of magic, romance and hot, bad boy ghosts!